Thursday 18 May 2017

New Parts and Powdercoat

I've been missing from the blog recently but not from action on the MT50. It's been moving along but at a slower rate than originally anticipated. Money has been the biggest obstacle.

So an update on the progress. The frame, fork lowers, hubs, yokes, rims and brake plates have all been powdercoated. The frame, hub and brake plates all came out very nice but the rims weren't up to the same standard. They were better than the rough chrome beforehand by a long way but I think there must have been some moisture or contaminants under the powder as it had bubbled and looked quite nasty. They can be painted up at a later date to make them right.

As for putting the bike back together I am stuck waiting for a few small bits such as the swingarm bushes which stops me putting the back end on and having it standing so I can carry on the other work. I have rebuilt the wheels and put the forks back together using brand new fork stanchions which I think were a total bargain from JMPB.com. I have done my own thing with the colours as the original design needed something more.


Front hub before blasting

All parts blasted

Some new parts ordered from  JMPB

New stanchions ordered from JMPB

Rear wheel rebuilt after powdercoat

Black frame and white fork lowers.

The contrasting colours are a bold move but I've been looking at mountain bike colours and the contrasting differences between certain parts. It seemed like a good move to update the colours, and although some may not like the change I want the bike to stand out and look a bit different.

The forks have new seals and work beautifully. If you remember what the old stanchions looked like its surprising that the lowers weren't damaged but the new stanchions feel snug and slick. I'm happy with the result of the powdercoat on them as they are smooth and very tidy. The new taper bearings in the headstock are very nice too. As soon as I have the bushes for the swingarm I will be able to put the rear wheel and shocks on then it's onto the engine!



No comments:

Post a Comment