Thursday 23 March 2017

Suspension Renovation

Finally I've got around to removing the rear shocks so I can tidy them up. They were looking pretty sorry as is to be expected (the rest of the bike was so why not these too).


The shock was dismantled using a ratchet strap since I don't have a spring compressor. It worked but was a bit of a hassle. the top cups were mis-shapen and dented so I used an old large socket wrench as an anvil to reshape the cap.




As you can see, pretty beaten up. I hammered them into shape and fixed a split in the top of one of them. 






Colour choice was dictated by the colour of the bike, so black and red were in there but as an extra bit of flair I did the spring in white to contrast with the main black colour. The damper is now black and the cap is red. I think they turned out really well and they're a huge improvement over the original rusted patina.


Next job will probably be the forks. Who knows what delights I'll find in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment